Just like how the French can’t do without their prerequisite glass of red wine to go with beef bourguignon, and how terribly strange it feels to not have a pot of steaming pu er alongside an array of dim sum, tucking into a meal of tapas and paella rice without a refreshing jug or two of Spanish sangria is almost blasphemous in the eyes of the foodies.
Not that that’s something you’d need to worry about at Serenity Spanish Bar & Restaurant. With a generous selection of over 24 different types of sangrias, there’s bound to be something to cater to even the fussiest of palates. Purists can go for the Sangria de Original (or classic red wine sangria, $16), a sultry mix of red wine, gin, brandy, orange liquor, juices and lemonade), while those who prefer something with a little bit of kick can opt for the ultra-refreshing Cava el Jengibre (or ginger sangria, $16).
But no matter what you choose, the heady concoction of fruity flavours rounded up with an alcoholic punch makes the ubiquitous Spanish drink a must-order with a hearty meal of tapas. We pick of our favourites from Serenity’s extensive menu.
From L to R: 1. Sangria de Original, 2. Sangria de Pepino, 3. Sangria de Fresa, 4. Sangria de Brazil, 5. Cava el Jengibre
1. Sangria de Original (classic red wine sangria), S$16: Because nothing’s quite like the original. If you prefer white wine, Serenity also offers a mean white wine sangria.
2. Sangria de Pepino (cucumber sangria), S$16: Like a cool drink of water on a hot summer’s day, the cucumber sangria refreshes with cucumber, white wine, apple juice, lime juice and a choice of sprite or soda for the sparkling factor.
3. Sangria de Fresa (strawberry sangria), S$16: Made with fresh strawberry, white wine, a choice of sprite or soda and a dash of Orange Liquor Cointreau, the strawberry sangria is tangy, light and sweet. Just the perfect drink to get you started.
4. Sangria de Brazil (caipirinha sangria), S$16: The potent mix of red wine, cachaca, lime and brown sugar makes the caiprinha sangria a sweet and easy-to-drink cocktail.
5. Cava el Jengibre (ginger sangria), S$16: Perhaps our favourite of the lot, the effervescent concoction of cava, fresh spicy ginger and lime juice will have you asking for seconds and thirds of the sangria.
Sponsored by Serenity Spanish Bar & Restaurant